IN RAS AL KHAIMAH
A Middle Eastern specialty, these Lebanese Stuffed Cabbage Rolls are made with beef, rice, lemon and garlic.3.95 from 18 votes Print Pin RateCourse:Entree, Main DishCuisine:Lebanese, middle eastern, syrianKeyword:cabbage with meat, stuffed cabbagePrep Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 45 minutesTotal Time: 1 hour Servings: Calories: 211kcal Author: Liz Della Croce
- 1 green cabbage
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- ½ c long grain white rice
- ½ tbs kosher salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 lemon Juice of lemon
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 cloves garlic grated
- 2 tbs dried mint crushed
- Bring a large pot of water (or chicken broth) to a boil.
- Cut cabbage in half and remove tough inner core. Carefully remove as many outer leaves as possible and set aside.
- When water or broth has come to a boil, use tongs to immerse cabbage leaves into the liquid.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes or until tender; set aside to cool.
- Drain liquid from the pot and set aside to use when cooking stuffed cabbage leaves.
- In a medium bowl, combine sirloin, rice, salt, pepper, lemon juice, cinnamon and half of the garlic.
- Working one leaf at a time, place 1-2 tablespoons of meat mixture in the middle and roll until meat is covered with cabbage.
- Place stuffed cabbage rolls in the same pot you used to cook the leaves and line them up close together, alternating direction with each layer. Continue until leaves are gone.
- If you have any extra meat mixture, roll them into tiny meatballs and add them on top of the stuffed rolls.
- Cover stuffed cabbage with water – about ½ in above top layer.
- Throw in dried mint and remaining 2 crushed garlic cloves.
- Squeeze any leftover lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Take a small plate and turn it upside down and place on top of rolls.Push down to ensure all rolls are submersed in liquid.
- Cover pot and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until meat is fully cooked through. Serve with plain yogurt.