Spanish Pasta With Chorizo and Tomato Sauce Recipe
- Total:35 mins
- Prep:15 mins
- Cook:20 mins
- Yield:4 Servings Pasta With Chorizo
79 RATINGS Add a comment
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
See Full Nutritional Guidelines(Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.)
This Spanish pasta recipe is a delightful combination of hearty tomato sauce with Spanish chorizo, a spicy pork sausage, and smoked Spanish paprika.
Italians are known to eat a lot of pasta, but the Spanish eat their fair share as well. They may not be world renowned for their pasta dishes, but macaroni, rigatoni, penne, and spaghetti are often enjoyed in Spanish homes with a typically Spanish twist to the sauce.
As in Italy, pasta is often considered the first course in Spain rather than the main course. This recipe will, however, serve 4 adults as a main course because of the meat.
- 1 medium-size yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 Spanish semi-cured chorizo sausage
- 1/4 cup Spanish virgin olive oil
- 1 (24-ounce) can of crushed tomatoes (or fresh tomatoes that have been chopped or pulsed in a food processor)
- 1 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
- 1/2 pound dry penne (macaroni or spaghetti noodles)
- Big pinch salt
Steps to Make It
- Gather the ingredients.
- Start by peeling and chopping the onion into 1/4-inch chunks. Peel and chop garlic. Remove the seeds and veins from the pepper and chop. Cut the chorizo into round slices about 1/4-inch thick.
- Pour about half of the olive oil into a large skillet and heat on medium. Once hot enough (but not smoking), sauté the onion, garlic, pepper and chorizo slices in the pan. Stir often. If necessary, add more of the olive oil to the pan.
- Once the onions are translucent, add the crushed tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the paprika. Stir and cook on medium-low for 10 minutes, being careful not to burn the sauce.
- While the sauce is simmering, bring water for pasta to a rolling boil in a large pot. Add pasta of choice and a big pinch of salt and cook until al dente — about 10 minutes. Drain the pasta immediately.
- To serve, add the pasta to skillet and mix it together with the sauce. If you prefer, plate the pasta, then add sauce on top.