eccentric/ɪkˈsɛntrɪk,ɛkˈsɛntrɪk/ Learn to pronounce
- 1.(of a person or their behaviour) unconventional and slightly strange. “he noted her eccentric appearance” Similar: unconventional, uncommon, abnormal, irregular, aberrant, anomalous, odd, queer, strange, peculiar, weird, bizarre, off-centre, outlandish, freakish, extraordinary, idiosyncratic, quirky, singular, nonconformist, capricious, whimsical, outré, avant garde, way out, far out, offbeat, dotty, nutty, screwy, freaky, oddball, wacky, cranky off the wall, madcap, zany, rum, kooky, wacko, bizarro, in left field, Opposite: ordinary, conventional
- 2.TECHNICAL not placed centrally or not having its axis or other part placed centrally.” a servo driving an eccentric cam”
- 1.a person of unconventional and slightly strange views or behaviour.”he’s seen as a local eccentric” Similar: oddity, odd fellow, unorthodox person, character, individualist, individual free spirit, misfit, oddball, queer fish, weirdo, weirdie, freak, nut, nutter, nutcase, case, head case, crank, crackpot, loony, loon, one-off, odd bod, wacko, wack, screwball, kook, wackadoo, wackadoodle, dingbat
- 2.a disc or wheel mounted eccentrically on a revolving shaft in order to transform rotation into backward-and-forward motion,
- e.g. a cam in an internal combustion engine.